Your cat may be an integral part of your family, but scratching, urine marking, and other anxiety-induced behaviors can destroy your home and make your cat less than pleasant to be around. Cat calming sprays are made with a variety of ingredients to help reduce your cat’s fear, stress, and anxiety. They can be used before or during a visit to the veterinarian or to put a stop to destructive behaviors at home. They’re easy to use, and many come in travel-size containers so you can use them almost anywhere.
We reviewed dozens of cat calming sprays to find the best of the best. In our search, we considered formulas with pheromones and those that use natural ingredients or essential oils. Of course, we weighed effectiveness against ease-of-use and whether or not the bottle is compact and portable enough for travel. We’ve found some great sprays that ease stress and make both your life and your cat’s more calm and comfortable.
Cats can easily succumb to fear and anxiety when put in unusual circumstances. A trip to the vet, moving to a new home, or their owner simply leaving for the day can be enough to trigger scratching, urine-marking, and other disruptive behaviors. Relaxivet Calming Spray has a formula that includes natural ingredients like catnip, geranium, and rosemary to calm nerves and ease physical and emotional tension. It goes into effect within 15 minutes of the first spray and lasts up to 6 hours.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Calming Sprays
|Best Cat Calming Spray Overall||Relaxivet Calming Spray||4.2|
|Best Cat Calming Spray for Urine Marking||Ceva Feliway Spray||3.8|
|Best Budget Cat Calming Spray||Nature's Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray||3.7|
|Best Travel Cat Calming Spray||Feliway Classic Travel Spray||3.8|
|Best Cat Calming Spray for Scratching||Claw Withdraw||3.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Best Cat Calming Sprays Overall: Relaxivet Calming Spray
Relaxivet Calming Spray is a way to ease your cat through a move, vet visit, or simply a day without you. It has a mix of natural ingredients, which include catnip, geranium, and rosemary. The relaxing lavender scent makes it appealing to you as well.
It’s designed to be sprayed on objects like your cat’s carrier, scratching post, or your furniture. Once your cat enters the area, the essential oils and other ingredients enter through the olfactory senses to calm the nerves and body. The bottle is small enough to carry in a backpack or purse, so it’s ready to go when you’re at the vet’s office or during a move to a new home.
We like that it’s fast-acting. The spray takes effect within 15 minutes and stays potent for up to 6 hours. That’s plenty of time to help your cat stay calm for the day until you’re home to reapply.
Relaxivet Calming Spray Key Features:
- Travel-size bottle
- Lasts up to six hours
- Contains natural ingredients
Best Cat Calming Spray for Urine Marking: Ceva Feliway Spray
Urine marking may be a normal cat behavior, but it can definitely be a problem in your house. Ceva Feliway Spray is designed to deter urine marking, scratching, and other anxiety-induced behaviors. Its formula mimics a cat’s natural pheromones. Pheromones, chemicals that trigger certain behaviors in animals of the same species, can excite, calm, or anger. For cats, the right combination of pheromones helps their nerves settle when they’re in an unfamiliar or high-stress environment.
Whether it’s a thunderstorm, fireworks, or moving to a new home, using this spray in areas your cat frequents can cut down on urine marking. If the urine marking continues even after your cat has adjusted to a new situation, you may need to check with your veterinarian to make sure there’s not a medical condition that’s interfering with your cat’s bladder control.
Ceva Feliway Spray Key Features:
- Formula mimics natural pheromones
- Reduces urine marking and scratching
- Works on nine out of ten cats in a test scenario
Best Budget Calming Cat Spray: Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray
Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray is perfect for those times when your cat’s normal routine has to take a backseat to the ups and downs of life. Moving to a new house, a trip to the vet, or a new human or animal addition to the family can be enough to throw your cat into a tailspin. A few sprays of Nature’s Miracle in the cat carrier, on furniture, or near areas where he exhibits anxious behavior can calm his nerves and save your house from the terror a cat that doesn’t know what to do with his nervous energy.
This concentrated spray requires fewer sprays than many conventional calming formulas, and the ingredients do not have a sedating effect. A note of caution: This spray shouldn’t be used directly on your cat, but on objects, furniture, and other items in the areas your cat uses most.
Nature’s Miracle Just for Cats Calming Spray Key Features:
- Concentrated formula
- Affordable price
- Uses natural scents as calming aids
Best Travel Cat Calming Spray: Feliway Classic Travel Spray
If you want calming power in a compact, portable container, you need to look no further than Feliway Classic Travel Spray. This spray easily fits in a purse, backpack, or briefcase so it can be used in a pet carrier on the way to the vet or on an extended road trip. The formula mimics natural pheromones to reduce anxiety behaviors like urine marking, scratching, and hissing. All it takes is a few sprays inside a cat carrier or other area where your cat will frequent during the stressful episode.
This drug-free formula doesn’t expose your cat to dangerous ingredients but works to trigger a calming response. It can also be used to reduce urine marking in general. Simply spray it on the affected area after you’ve cleaned up the urine, and it acts as a natural deterrent to future marking.
Feliway Classic Travel Spray Key Features:
- Travel-size container
- Deters urine marking
Best Calming Cat Spray for Scratching: Claw Withdraw
A cat on a scratching spree can shred furniture, shoes, and anything else in their path of destruction. Claw Withdraw is specially designed to put a stop to scratching and save your home and furnishings from the tornado your cat becomes under stress. The spray works by creating a protective barrier that relies on scent as a deterrent. When used in conjunction with an adequate scratching post and/or pad, it redirects your cat to places where he can safely sharpen his claws and take out lingering frustrations.
We like that it’s non-staining since you’re going to put it on furniture, carpet, rugs, and other valuables. So if you need to save your current furniture, want to bring in new furniture, or need to put a stop to scratching that’s gotten out of hand, this is the spray for you.
Claw Withdraw Key Features:
- Specially designed to put a stop to scratching
- Protects furniture without staining
- Works in conjunction with adequate scratching surface
Who Should Buy a Cat Calming Spray
When it comes down to it, if you own a cat, there’s a good chance you’re going to need a calming spray at one point or another. Cats are creatures of habit. When they’re routine gets disrupted, anxiety, fear, and stress bring out your cat’s primal nature. Hissing, urine marking, and out of control scratching are often the result. Some situations, like a trip to the vet, are unavoidable. Calming sprays can be used in the pet carrier or car to keep your cat calm on the trip.
Sometimes something as simple as a change in your routine like an early leave time for work or having everyone home during the day when your cat is used to time to himself can have the same effect. Other situations like bringing home a new baby or adding another pet to the household can lead to unwanted behaviors in your cat, too. Calming sprays help your cat through the transition and save your home from feline destruction.
Important Features to Consider
A cat calming spray should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when selecting a cat calming spray for your cat:
- Ingredient list. Many calming sprays have essential oils, which are a great natural ingredient. However, some cats have a strong response to essential oils. If your cat has had a bad reaction to essential oils before, you’ll probably want to skip one of these formulas. Other sprays have all-natural ingredients like herbs and botanical blends in case you want to avoid synthetic ingredients.
- Bottle size. Most sprays are fairly portable. However, if you want something you can take to the vet or on a road trip, look for a travel-size spray that can easily fit in a backpack or purse. These sprays are just as potent as other formulas, but they’re packaged in portable containers that are easier to carry.
- Purpose/specialization. Depending on your cat’s issues, you may need a spray that targets a specific behavior. Some sprays deter urine marking or prevent scratching, while others are for general calming. Each has a place and purpose; it’s just a matter of deciding what’s best for you and your cat.
- Application. Sprays are sprays, right? Yes and no. Yes, they’re all sprays. However, how much spray you need for effectiveness varies by the formula. Some formulas only require two or three sprays, while others need eight or nine to be effective. Take a good look at the directions to get an idea of how much spray you’ll need to be effective. Also, keep in mind that you’ll probably use the spray in more than one area. For example, if your cat keeps scratching the couch, a hallway rug, and a corner in the kitchen, you’ll need to spray in all of those places. A spray with a higher concentration may be a more economical investment if you’ve got multiple cats or several areas to spray.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat calming spray, and how does it work?
Cat calming sprays are formulated to trigger your cat’s relaxation response in the hopes that it will reduce anxiety behaviors like scratching, hissing, and urine marking. Most sprays are applied to objects like furniture, rugs, carpet, or a cat carrier. However, there are a few designed to be applied directly to your cat, but carefully read the directions before applying. Sprays may have natural ingredients or contain a mix of chemicals that mimic natural pheromones. Some sprays target specific behaviors like urine marking or scratching, while others work for general anxiety.
How do you use cat calming spray?
Cat calming sprays are applied directly to objects in which your cat comes into contact. If he’s scratching or urine marking in a particular area, use the calming spray to help calm and deter him from the behavior. They can be used inside cat carriers for trips to the vet or on bedding if your cat is sleeping in a new place. There are a few sprays designed for direct application to the cat, but these are few and far between. Read the directions very carefully before applying anything to your cat’s coat.
How can I calm my anxious cat naturally?
First, we recommend talking to your vet before you try any natural remedies. Essential oils, for example, can be harmful to cats with their sensitive sense of smell. That being said, scents like lavender and chamomile can have a calming effect on cats just like they can humans. Then, there’s good ole catnip, which is included in some sprays. Cats love it, and for some felines, simply feeling happy and content is enough to calm them down. You can also try treats or herbal drops designed to calm your cat, too. It’s a matter of trial and error to find what works for your cat.
Does catnip help cats with anxiety?
Catnip can help with anxiety. Cats like it. When they’re feeling content, they’ll also feel more relaxed. Now, will it work for every cat? Probably not. But, if your cat loves catnip, it might be enough to calm him when he’s feeling frazzled.
Other Cat Calming Sprays We Reviewed
We reviewed 20 other cat calming sprays as we searched for the top 5 for our best cat calming sprays list. These sprays may not have made our list, but they’re still some of the best formulas on the market. We’ve included information to help you compare and contrast as you search for the perfect calming spray.
- Cat Calming Sprays for Urine Marking
- Travel Cat Calming Sprays
- Cat Calming Sprays for Scratching
- General Cat Calming Sprays
Cat Calming Sprays for Urine Marking
Feliway ThunderEase Cat Calming Pheromone Spray
Another formula by Feliway, this spray uses artificial pheromones to calm your cat and reign in urine marking and scratching.
- Travel-size bottle
- Drug-free, artificial pheromones
- Effects last four to five hours
NaturVet Pet Organics No Mark Spray
Designed to put at end to urine marking, this spray doesn’t act as a deterrent but a relaxant that soothes and calms your cat.
- Specifically targets urine marking
- For use on objects
- Requires use twice daily until cat stops marking behavior
Sentry has developed a formula that mimics a mother cat’s calming pheromones to calm your cat and reduce urine marking.
- Contains lavender and chamomile
- Travel-size container
- Sprays onto objects
Travel Cat Calming Sprays
The small, portable bottle lets you keep your cat relaxed no matter where your travels take you.
- Blend of botanical ingredients
- Can be rubbed directly onto the cat
- Safe for use on furniture and carpet
Comfort Zone Spray & Scratch Control
This travel-size bottle works great for spot treating areas of your home or for use while you transport your cat.
- Safe on furniture, fabrics, and wood floors
- Unscented formula
- Spray in areas where your cat scratches or marks
A mix of pheromones and natural ingredients helps this spray calm your cat and cut back on anxiety behaviors.
- Specially designed for cats
- Contains citronella and lavender oil
- Comes with access to e-book on cat behavior
Kitty Co Calming Spray for Cats
A mix of pheromones and lavender make this calming spray a soothing option for anxious cats.
- Contains plant-based ingredients
- Requires one hour to become active
- For use in areas where you don’t want your cat to scratch
Only Natural Pet Just Relax Calming Spray
Catnip essential oil lies at the heart of this spray. It appeals to your cat’s natural senses to calm and soothe.
- Made with catnip
- For use on furniture and other objects
- Reduces hyperactivity and stress behaviors
A mix of lavender, spearmint, and orange comes together to ease your cat’s journey through stressful situations.
- Lavender scented
- Designed for use during the most stressful situations
- Spray onto objects
Zen Kitty has natural extracts but skips essential oils for those cats too sensitive for their potency.
- Contains organic hydrosols and flower extracts
- For use on objects
- Reduces aggression and irritability
Cat Calming Sprays for Scratching
Emmy’s Best Stop the Scratch Max Strength Deterrent Spray
Scratching can destroy your home. This formula deters cats from scratching, so they’ll stick to their scratching post or pad.
- Safe for use on furniture, fabrics, and floors
- Calming fragrance
- Requires frequent application in the first week
Felisept Home Comfort Calming Spray
Felisept’s spray helps reduce scratching and so much more. It’s meant to address a wide range of stress behaviors like urine marking and hissing, too.
- Takes effect after 20 minutes
- For use on objects
- Contains pheromones
Harbor’s Cat Repellent and Trainer
Sometimes your cat needs some extra motivation to put a stop to unwanted behaviors. This spray deters your cat from scratching so he can focus on a scratching post or pad.
- For use on any object or area where you want your cat to avoid scratching
- Contains orange, lemon, and lavender
- Requires multiple applications for the first week
Nature’s Miracle Pet Block Repellent Spray
A spray designed to keep your cat out of sensitive areas in your home without triggering his stress behaviors.
- For dogs and cats
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Uses scents as repellents
SEGMINISMART Cat Scratch Deterrent Spray
This formula redirects your cat’s anxiety, so tension and stress can be taken out on his scratching post rather than your furniture.
- Works for dogs and cats
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Produces a bitter taste that deters your cat
General Cat Calming Sprays
NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Room Spray
A herbal blend appeals to your cat’s more sophisticated nature.
- Contains extract of valerian root, spikenard, and chamomile
- Can be used in small spaces or large rooms
- Light fragrance
Paws & Pals Natural Calming Mist
This natural, organic calming mist performs double duty as a pet relaxer and as a stain and odor remover.
- Naturally relaxes your cat
- Cleans and deodorizes
- Works for cats or dogs
Pet MasterMind Cool Kitty Cat Spray
Cool Kitty has an herbal formula meant to appeal to your cat’s calmer senses.
- Contains a blend of herbs
- For use on objects
- Reduces anxiety
Simple and organic, this formula relies on basic ingredients to mimic natural pheromones.
- Light fragrance
- Mimics natural pheromones
- For use on objects
Pet Remedy Natural De-Stress & Calming Spray
Cats, dogs, and just about any other animal species should find this spray a soothing relief.
- For use with multiple animal species
- Contains essential oils
- Safe for use directly on the cat