When you’re looking to buy cat litter for your furry friend, there are two options: clay or crystal. Many cat owners are choosing crystal cat litter because of its unique technology. Crystal cat litter is comprised of sodium silicate sand which is highly liquid-absorbent. This is often what customers want because otherwise, the room in which the litter box is can become a smelly place.
We reviewed dozens of crystal cat litter products to identify the best of the best. In our search, we looked at self cleaning litter box refills and those for which you’ll still provide the manual labor. We found the crystals that will attract your kitten while you’re training him and those non-toxic crystals that you’ll feel secure letting into your home.
If you’re interested in a self-cleaning litter box, then you’ll want to check out our review of the best self-cleaning litter boxes. No matter what kind of box you choose, you’ll need to consider where you’re going to place it and what you’ll need to prevent it from taking over the room. Our choices for best litter box furniture will certainly help you in that search.
The PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter stood out as a clear winner, thanks to its conveniently portioned bags and excellent absorption. This crystal cat litter offers great odor control and is 99% dust-free, making it a great choice for most cats.
In This Article
The 5 Top Rated Crystal Cat Litters
|PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter
|Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
|Best Budget Buy
|Ultra Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
|Best Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
|PetSafe ScoopFree Non-Clumping Cat Litter
|Best Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
|Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter
Each bag of the PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter may be specifically portioned out for refilling PetSafe’s reusable litter tray but that absolutely does not prohibit you from using it in whatever litter box you see fit. As crystals, you won’t need to maintain the two to three inches deep recommended for other cat litters, so this portion will still work perfectly for a single cat home. Each bag weights four and a half pounds and you’ll get two bags with each purchase.
This lavender-scented non-clumping litter that will track less and is 99% dust free, helping all those kitties with allergies. The crystals contained in these bags will absorb the urine and dry out any solid waste your cat leaves behind removing and eliminating odor, the manufacturer claims, up to five times more effectively than clay clumping litter.
With nearly 1,000 customer reviews on Amazon and an overall rating of 4.0 stars, it’s easy to see why it’s our top pick. Should you need more convincing, though, take a look at those reviews and be sold by the praises they sing.
PetSafe ScoopFree Premium Crystal Non Clumping Cat Litter Key Features:
- 99% dust free
- 2 scents available: lavender or original
- Works with traditional littler box or PetSafe ScoopFree Reusable Litter Tray
Our Runner Up Pick: Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
We recommend giving Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter a try for a number of reasons. For starters, it absorbs urine instantly and offers maximum odor control. Needless to say, these are two features you will definitely want in a crystal litter! Another eye-catching feature cat owners in particular will appreciate is that these crystals can be reused for two months. This is good news not only for eco-conscious cat owners, but also those who are looking for crystal litter that won’t burn a whole in their wallet.
Speaking of saving money, a bag of Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter should last you a whole three months, provided you use it for one cat.
With just under 200 customer reviews on Amazon and an overall rating of 4.1 stars, it’s no wonder it made our list. With 75% of customers leaving it a glowing and positive review, there’s every reason to believe you’ll be one of the majority of satisfied customers.
Litter Pearls Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter Key Features:
- 2 – 8 lb bags included
- Subscribe and Save for bigger savings
- Ultra lightweight, low-dust formula
Best Budget Pick: Ultra Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
The silica gel crystals in Ultra Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter are so small that there are thousands of paths for liquid to flow and each path is lined with absorptive surfaces. This essentially leaves your cat’s litter dry to the touch. For your cat’s solid waste, those thousands of particle surfaces will quickly dehydrate the waste and eliminate the odor. You’ll still want to scoop out the solids, but you’ll find doing so a breeze (especially as it will be a non-smelly affair!).
This kitty litter lasts up to a month, making its already reasonable price tag of around $10 for a 5 pound bag even more so. If you want to save even more money, consider using the ‘Subscribe and Save’ option on Amazon or ‘Autoship and Save’ option on Chewy. Not only will doing so save you a considerable amount of money and time, but you’ll also be able to ensure your cat never runs out of litter—without lifting a finger again!
Ultra Micro Crystals Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter Key Features:
- Maximum odor control formula
- Soft on paws
- Low dust
Best Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litter: PetSafe ScoopFree Non-Clumping Cat Litter
Our pick for the best non-clumping crystal cat litter is PetSafe ScoopFree Non-Clumping Cat Litter. The product is on the higher end of crystal cat litters as it’s $49, but the positive feedback outweighs the hefty price tag, making it worth it for pet owners who don’t want the hassle of scooping. You’ll absolutely love the fact that this crystal cat litter stays contained as it has a plastic tray lining that is completely disposable. That means when you start noticing an odor, or the contents begin bothering you or your cat, you simply dump the entire thing, tray and all, into the garbage. Talk about a big time saver!
The crystals are 99% dust-free and low-tracking so you won’t have to worry about what your cat drags out of the tray after he does his business. The tray is meant to slip under the PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box, but even if you don’t have one of these, this tray will work slipped into any other litter box or just used on its own. This would be perfect to take with you on a trip with your cat and disposal is made all the easier by the included lid.
There are an impressive number of customer reviews for this litter – around 6200. And considering they’ve given it an overall customer review of 4.6 stars, you should feel confident in this as a smart buy.
PetSafe ScoopFree Non-Clumping Cat Litter Key Features:
- No leaks thanks to the plastic tray lining
- Simply get rid of the disposable litter tray instead of scooping
- No crystals will get on your cat’s paws thanks to low-tracking crystals
Best Clumping Crystal Cat Litter: Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter
Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter is a great deal at around $15, but it’s also the best clumping crystal cat litter you’ll likely ever find. Although the product suggests that pet owners scoop the cat litter twice a week, some customers note that it’s best to do this on a daily basis so the clumps don’t become dirty and frustrating to clean. Since the product doesn’t produce any dust, some customers enjoy the fact that their cats can use the box free of sneezing.
The multi-color crystals are pleasant for cats to walk on, and this product is known for keeping smells away. The gentle edges will prove nice for your cat’s paws, even if he’s sensitive to what he walks upon.
Finding a crystal litter that also clumps can prove to be a challenge, but one that this litter is up for winning. And while there may not be the most customer reviews on this, considering how rare this type of product is, there’s more than enough to justify your investment.
Ultra Pet Clumping Crystal Cat Litter Key Features:
- High-quality Silica Gel crystals
- Odors are kept away
- The suggested scooping is only twice a week
Who Should Buy Crystal Cat Litter
When you’re choosing which type of cat litter to purchase, you’re faced with two primary options: clay or crystal. You may be best suited for crystal cat litter if you have one cat because in most cases, you’ll only have to switch out the litter box once monthly. But even with more than one cat, you’ll notice a big extension of time between litter changing. Crystal litter will be a more hands-off experience for you as the cat parent. If you want as little involvement with your cat’s urine and feces as possible (and who doesn’t?) then a crystal cat litter may be just the thing for you.
You also may be interested in crystal cat litter if you don’t want to carry heavy objects (or aren’t able to for any reason) since clay litter is often in larger, heavier bags than crystal cat litter. A 30 day supply of clay cat litter will weigh more than twice as much as a 30 day supply in crystal cat litter. Because crystal litter is more efficient at odor and moisture absorption, you won’t have to pour it as thick in the litter box and the overall density of each individual particle is far less, too.
If you or your cat have asthma or other breathing problems, you might prefer crystal cat litter over clay as it doesn’t produce dust and is said to be better for these conditions.
Important Features To Consider
There are several important features to consider when purchasing crystal cat litter to ensure that you get the most bang for your buck. Here’s what to consider when selecting a crystal cat litter product for your cat:
- Odor control. The last thing that cat owners want to do is walk by their cat’s litter box and smell something funky. If you have a cat, you’ve definitely had this experience, and you want to look for crystal cat litter products that have amazing odor control. In many cases, products have additional scents to mask and overpower odors, but because the crystals are designed absorb so well, that technology alone will eliminate the vast majority of odors.
- Clumps well or clump-free and disposable. When you’re looking for crystal cat litters, you’ll notice that there are two types: clumping and non-clumping. When searching for clumping products, you want a cat litter that is easy to scoop and keep tidy. That means that the crystals aren’t getting caught on the bottom of the litter pan, making them frustrating to clean up. When searching for non-clumping products, the cat litter may also have disposable trays that can be thrown in the garbage, no problem.
- Dust control. It’s important to find a crystal cat litter that keeps dust at bay. Most will do this just strictly by the nature of their design. Crystal particles are far less likely to create dust, no matter how agitated the box or bag becomes, but if you’re concerned about it, make sure to look for a feature that says “dust free” or “low-dust.”
- Soft on paws. Your cat can’t tell you if walking on the clay litter is hard on his feet, but you may notice that he minimizes his time spent in the box. If he does his business and gets out in a hurry, that’s not necessarily a bad thing but you may find that the older he gets the less willing he is to put up with the paw discomfort. A soft silica crystal will be a walk in the park for him (figuratively – it’s far more gentle than an actual walk) and can help to ensure he keeps using his litter box.
- Cost. You will probably notice right away that crystal cat litter is quite a bit more expensive than clay cat litter. While that’s undeniably true, the cost differential can be a bit deceiving. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t compare price per pound as much as price for duration of the supply. When you compare 30 days of clay litter to 30 days of crystal litter, the price difference becomes less significant. You should also note that the crystal is far more convenient and will require less of your time. So, when you take into consideration what your time is worth, you may find that the cost difference is actually negligible.
- Durability. Cat owners prefer using crystal cat litter as it doesn’t need to be changed on a daily basis. Another important feature to look out for is durability. How long will the product last? Note the manufacturer’s recommended duration, but don’t stop there. If the majority of customer reviews say that a product can last for a few weeks (and the smell is still pleasant), that’s a good bet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is crystal cat litter and how does it work?
Crystal cat litter is composed from silica gel. It’s highly liquid-absorbent and is generally said to absorb 40 percent of its weight. Because crystal cat litter absorbs liquid and dehydrates solid waste from your cat, it’s considered to be a great pick for cat owners who want this process to be as painless as possible.
If you’re used to emptying your cat’s litter box on a daily basis, you will notice a pleasant difference when you start using crystal cat litter. You will get rid of any waste and sift the cat litter around (which aids with the liquid absorption), but that’s it. You only need to switch the crystal cat litter once a month.
Is crystal cat litter better?
Whether or not it’s better is, of course, up to you. We can tell you it is definitely cleaner. For most homes, it’s also less work. If keeping your home neat and tidy is important to you, that would be certainly be motivation to purchase this product. Clay litter is known for being very dusty and in contrast, crystal cat litter is praised for being dust-free. Many cat owners consider crystal cat litter to be better than clay because of this fact. Crystal litter won’t track all over your house as commonly as a clay cat litter does, either, adding big to its column of pros. You may also prefer crystal cat litter since it’s bio-degradable and more environmentally friendly than clay litter.
Do cats like crystal cat litter?
Do cats ever do what you expect them to do? While many people say that cats prefer clay litter, many cat owners have found that their pets are very happy with crystal cat litter. Sometimes you’ll find they don’t care about the things you think they will. Other times you’ll have to make the call to use the litter that you like best, and try to get your cat on board. If your cat seems to be staying away from the litter box with the crystal cat litter in there, it’s possible that you need to purchase an unscented product and they will be much happier with that.
How often do you change crystal cat litter?
You don’t change crystal cat litter as frequently as clay litter. You can extend the life of the litter by removing solid wastes and stirring to activate more odor eliminating crystals. This ensure all crystals are used; that way you won’t be throwing away crystals that could still yet eliminate more odor. In fact, for most crystal cat litters, you only have to switch it out once a month. You’ll want to refer to the specific instructions from the manufacturer, but you can expect, with daily maintenance, you can extend the life and minimize your hand-on involvement in your cat’s urine and feces. And isn’t that just the best part?
Other Crystal Cat Litters We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other crystal cat litters. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best crystal cat litter list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Clumping Crystal Cat Litters
This is a great choice for pet owners who want an environmentally friendly clumping crystal cat litter. This one is soft on cat’s paws and one bag lasts an entire month.
- Stops the spread of bacteria thanks to fine particles
- One 3.53 pound bag lasts one month
If you’re looking for a crystal cat litter that you can put in a sensitive area, such as your office, this is the one. One reviewer shared that they put their cat’s litter box in their office and don’t have to change it for 12-15 days. This cat litter has no scent and the crystals come already measured for you, making this convenient and easy to use.
- No fragrance
- Odor control
- Two bags in each box, measured for you
- Some clumping
This silica gel cat litter only needs to be scooped twice a week, and the clumps are simple to get rid of. Reviewers enjoy the green, orange, and pink colors of this cat litter and found it a nice change from regular litter.
- Enjoyable colors
- Silica get crystal cat litter
- Odor control
- This litter only needs to be scooped twice a week
Looking for a clumping crystal cat litter without a scent? This product is great for cat owners who are sensitive to smells, and customers find it simple to scoop and keep the litter box tidy until the next change.
- This product has no fragrance
- Low dust formula
- It’s light which customers appreciate
- This clumping crystal cat litter helps fight odor
- Easy to scoop
The color of the crystals may not seem like an important distinction but if you want to notice the waste better, a more drastic color may make it easier to notice. And since you can’t rely on the odor to help, a bright pink may just do the trick.
- Fragrance Free
- 8 lb bag
Non-Clumping Crystal Cat Litters
A lavender scent, non-toxic ingredients, and silica crystals contribute to the odor control of this cat litter. It’s a good choice for those looking for an environmentally-friendly product that also controls those pesky litter box smells.
- Odor control and absorption thanks to 100% silica crystals
- Lavender scent
This low tracking crystal cat litter will make sure that your cat’s waste and any stray litter will stay in the box and not spread throughout your home.
- 4 lb bag
- 1-month supply
- Indicator crystals show when litter needs scooped and changed
Tired of scooping out clumps of cat litter and dust getting everywhere in your house? This is a convenient, appealing product as the big crystal chunks won’t get stuck to your cat’s paws and you only need to empty the litter box every 3-4 weeks. One reviewer noted that their cat loved the size of the crystals.
- Easy clean-up
- Low dust formula
- Chunks of crystals means less tracking
You may find that the larger chunks used in this cat litter formula will help the odor and minimize the number of times you need to address it in your home.
- 4 – 4.5 lb bags of litter
- Low dust formula
- Contains no crystalline silica
This crystal cat litter may seem just like the other FreshMAGIC crystal litters, but make note of the round crystals. This means it will be the most effective when passing through self-cleaning litter boxes.
- Extra soft on sensitive paws
- Virtually dust-free
This may not be all you need for your cat’s litter box, but if you’re looking for litter that is crystals and also helps train your cat, this fits the bill.
- Attracts cat and signals him where to waste
- 100% non-toxic
- 15 oz container
This cat litter is a smart choice if you don’t want to tend to your cat’s litter box constantly. Thanks to the lavender smell, moisture is absorbed fast, leaving the litter box smelling pleasant. This product is made of light, non-toxic silica crystals.
- 8 pound box of non-toxic silica crystals
- Won’t track dust all over
- Lavender scent
- Odor control
Looking for a non-clumping crystal cat litter that is great for more than one cat, lasts a really long time, and is light, too? This product comes in a 9-pound bag, making it the ideal choice for pet owners who want a low-maintenance and affordable cat litter.
- Crystal granules absorb moisture very quickly, stopping the spread of bacteria
- Good for many cats
- Odor control
Reviewers love this non-clumping crystal cat litter as the trays can be used many times, making it cost-effective. This product stands out thanks to the antimicrobial feature in the plastic which helps block bad smells.
- Stops odors
- Antimicrobial additive in the plastic stops spread of bacteria
- Litter tray can be used several times
This disposable cat litter box tray is intended to be used as a automatic litter box refill, but the specially formulated crystals are perfect for your cat’s sensitive paws, no matter the box type.
- Leak-proof lining
- Low-tracking crystals
- No scooping required; throw it all away
This crystal cat litter is the perfect pick for cat owners searching for an unscented product that is also non-toxic. It will last for thirty days, which is also convenient.
- Odor control
- Non-toxic formula
- Will fight odors and moisture for 30 days
This is a crystal litter additive that you’ll put into your cat’s litter box to test his urine for bladder infections, urethral plugs, bladder stones, cystitis and more.
- Cat litter additive
- Works with all types of litter
- Add monthly
This non-clumping crystal cat litter dries up solid waste and absorbs liquid waste, making it a pleasant experience for cat owners. All you have to do is stir the litter box. Reviewers appreciate that since the crystals dry up really quickly, there are no bad odors.
- 1000s of mini-channels absorb liquid waste
- Solid waste dries up
- Low dust
- Odor control
This crystal cat litter is comprised of mini crystals to create a larger surface area and dehydrate solid wastes faster.
- Low Dust formula
- Gentle on paws
Multi-Cat Crystal Cat Litters
The particle size and texture of these crystals were designed with the long-hair cat in mind; it will even hold up to several of your cats’ waste without releasing odor.
- 8 lb container
- 100% non-toxic
- Low tracking