If you have a cat, she may very well rule the roost. Just because she sleeps wherever she wants doesn’t mean she wouldn’t also like a bed of her own to sleep in, though. And if you love your cat enough to let her rule the roost, then you love her enough to give her something special just for her. Conversely, if you’re having problems with that ruling the roost attitude, giving her a place where she’s allowed to rule may help you out a bit, too. Deciding what bed to get your cat, though, may be a bit of a challenge.
We reviewed dozens of cat beds to identify the best of the best. We looked at beds that provide your cat some privacy and beds that allow her to rule from on high. The self-warming beds and the basic beds to provide her an extra soft place to sleep are all listed below and we’ve pulled out the top 5 for your convenience.
After looking at so many cat beds, we have a pretty good idea of what features make the best cat bed, and the Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave has them all. It offers your cat a nice place to make her own with a cave style and the felt construction is especially comfortable for your cat.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Cat Beds
|Best Overall||Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave||4.8|
|Runner Up||Kitty City Large Cat Cube Bed||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||Pet Magasin Thermal Self-Heated Bed for Cat||4.5|
|Best Heated Cat Bed||K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed||4.5|
|Best Covered Cat Bed||Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets||4.4|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave
The Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave is carefully handmade with 100% natural wool in Nepal through a process called “felting” where the bed is molded together with extreme pressure combining the wool, soap and water until the desired texture is created. The material is eco-friendly and non-toxic; it’s durable enough to withstand a vacuum and a hand-washing but you’ll want to avoid the washing machine if possible as it will decrease the life of the bed.
The cave style is all one piece of material and can be folded down to create a flat bed with extra padding, should your cat prefer to be more in the open. And your cat can choose her preference daily, switching back and forth between cave and bed. The bed is designed for cats 12 pounds or lighter and comes in 4 color choices making it a bed you can personalize to go with the decor in whichever room you place the bed.
With an astounding rating of 4.9 stars on Amazon, this bed is one that covers all the basics and so much more, making it a solid investment with little risk for you and your cat.
Meowfia Premium Felt Cat Bed Cave Key Features:
- Handmade; fits cats up to 12lbs
- 16″D x 10″H; 7″ entrance
- Satisfaction guaranteed
Our Runner-Up Pick: Kitty City Large Cat Cube Bed
The Kitty City Large Cat Cube Bed will give your cat plenty of space to call her own. Not only does the cube allow your cat to sneak away into her own little cave but if she’s feeling social (but still wants to lounge), there’s a padded bed on top of her little cove, as well. There’s even a 2 story option if you have multiple cats. For the single story option, there are “hide-and-seek” cut-outs that allow the cat to see out of her bed and one hole even has a dangling ball for her to bat.
If you plan on travelling or simply find your cat doesn’t use the cave as much as the bed, you can fold this cube flat for easy storage and portability. Of course, keep in mind, even if the cave isn’t used, your cat may like the top because of its height, so folding it may not have the desired effect.
This cube is Amazon’s Choice for Cat Hideaway and its rating for 4.7 stars with nearly 300 reviews make this purchase a no-brainer for giving your cat her own place.
Kitty City Large Cat Cube Bed Features:
- Made of soft fabric, polyester pillow and a fleece base mat
- 1 or 2 story options
- Easy to clean
Best Budget Pick: Pet Magasin Thermal Self-Heated Bed for Cat
For a budget friendly cat bed, check out the Pet Magasin Thermal Self-Heated Bed for Cat.
The Pet Magasin Thermal Self-Heated Bed for Cat is a basic flat cat bed that uses a thin layer of Mylar film to reflect your cat’s body heat back to her, keeping her nice and toasty. You can use this in her cat condo to make it extra posh or you can lay it on top of a surface, like a filing cabinet, to make that area completely hers. (And if she’s already acquisitioned the place, may as well make it official.) The beds are made of a velvety top cover and a thick hypoallergenic foam pad within making the warm bed especially comfortable.
When you make this purchase, you’ll get two cat beds, and you’ll get to choose which sizes you want them to be; 22″ x 18.5″ and 17″ x 11″ or 28.5″ x 34.5″ and 17″ x 11″. So no matter how many cats you have, and no matter how big they are (or how widely they can spread), you can give them a nice comfy warm place to lay their heads.
Both size sets are under $15 and for that price, getting 2 such high quality beds is a steal. They’ve earned a rating of 4.5 stars on Amazon with nearly 1,00 reviews, so these beds are very likely to be just what you need.
Pet Magasin Thermal Self-Heated Bed for Cat Key Features:
- Nonslip, rubberized bottom, Mylar lining and velvet cover
- 2 size sets available
- 2-year warranty, 100% satisfaction guaranteed
Best Heated Cat Bed Pick: K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed
The K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed is essentially a heating blanket for your cat; except it’s a fully padded and comfy bed. The sides are 7 inches high so it provides plenty of snuggle-in space and after plugging in, it takes just 20 minutes to heat up and maintain a temperature of 15 degrees above the room’s temperature. The dual thermostat unit uses only 4 watts, so your electric bill won’t be sky-high for the sake of spoiling your kitty.
The cover is removable and machine washable so you won’t need to worry about all the little things your cat gets into (or coughs up with her hairballs). You can choose from a 16″ in diameter or a 20″ in diameter to accommodate your small or large cats, or even multiple cats (if they don’t mind cuddling together).
This is Amazon’s Choice for Electric Cat Bed and with nearly 3,000 reviews it has earned its 4.5 star rating. You won’t be surprised to know that this product is returned 85% less than other electric cat beds, and we’re confident you won’t return it, either.
K&H Pet Products Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed Key Features:
- 2 size options; 3 color choices
- 20 minute heat time
- 1-year warranty
Best Covered Cat Bed Pick: Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets
The Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets is a excellent choice for any cat who needs the occasional break from socialization and a bit of “me time.” The pillow is removable and machine washable, in fact, the entire bed can be washed in a machine without worrying about it losing its shape or durability. You (or your cat) can also push on the roof to fold down into an extra thick pad your cat can comfortably sleep on and once he gets up, it reforms its shape as a tent.
During purchase, you’ll have the option to choose from 3 different colors, 3 different styles (Cave, Cove, and Tent), and 4 different sizes making this bed for your cat one that you can make sure fits your cat(s) and home perfectly. High quality polyfoam lining is used in each design to mold to your cat’s body making it a soft but supportive bed.
This tent bed is Amazon’s Choice for Cat Houses and the perfect little hideaway has earned its 4.4 star rating with over 1,500 reviews. At under $25, you won’t be risking a lot of money, but even if it were, you can have confidence in the product.
Best Pet Supplies, Inc. Tent Bed for Pets Key Features:
- Removable pillow pad, non-slip base
- 16″ x 16″ x 14″
- Tent, Cave and Cove style choices; 3 color options
Who Should Buy a Cat Bed
Cats can spend a solid two thirds of their lives sleeping. The chances are, they’re going to sleep in all kinds of places. And it’s also pretty likely that the cat will sleep wherever she wants (especially when you’re away.) So why would you get a bed specifically for your cat, if she’s perfectly content to sleep wherever she wants anyways? Giving your cat a bed of her own may help your cat’s behavior problems, believe it or not. If she has a place where she can be the top dog (top cat), then she may not be as rebellious on, say, your kitchen counter. And a place where she can have a little bit of privacy and independence can go a long way in her overall mental health, too.
A cat bed can also help you if your cat is prone to getting into things or hates baths. (As cats often do.) She may not sleep exclusively in her bed, but every minute spent in that bed is a moment where you don’t have to worry about her topical flea and tick prevention rubbing on your couch or your pillow.
Important Features to Consider
A bed for your cat should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a bed for your cat:
- Machine washable. You never know what your cat will get into, nor can you guarantee you’ll get her cleaned before she makes it to her bed. So the ability to simply pop her entire bed into the washing machine to clean off the blood and guts left from the bird she caught and drug inside is more than a little appealing. Washing machines do tend to break down pillows, cushions and pads over time, though, so you’ll want to temper your inclination to full blown wash it with regular spot cleaning for in-between washes.
- Privacy. If your cat scurries off whenever you have company, buying her a new bed can be an opportunity to provide her safe haven. For this, you’ll likely want a covered cave-like bed at the very least, if not a full blown condo-style bed.
- Heated beds. Having a heated bed inside is a luxury your cat will love you for. If you have an outside cat, though, there’s a good chance having a heated bed on cold nights will be invaluable. Even just if you keep your cat in the garage occasionally. Just make sure you’re adhering to the cautions and directions to avoid any overheated kitties and fire hazards.
- Self warming. This is the safest way for your cat to have a extra toasty bed. These beds use the same technology developed by NASA for the US space program to reflect your cat’s radiated heat and contain it within the bed, making her bed warm and comfortable. But this Mylar construction will only work to reflect the heat the cat already has; in other words, it’s not going to keep her warm if shes in the garage in freezing temperatures.
- Attached toys. You can find beds that have toys attached to them to help facilitate your cat’s activity. She may be sleeping most of the day, but when she rolls over and sees something to bat, it can be a nice interruption from her many cat naps. These are usually on the top of an entrance to a covered cat bed, but you may be able to find some that have toys on uncovered, or you may want to attach one of your own.
- Durability. Keep in mind cats scratch as they stretch and cats stretch while they yawn. Therefore, there’s a good chance this cat bed will be scratched on. So find one that has the durability to withstand some scratches and not be torn to shreds. Wool, felt, a carpet-like material are all good sources of extra durable cat beds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a cat bed?
A cat’s bed is whatever she wants it to be, if we’re being honest. You can take some of her preferences into consideration when you choose her bed, though, which will increase the likelihood of her using it. Generally, anything that will provide extra padding and maybe a little privacy constitutes a cat’s bed and buying one with features that will accommodate your cat’s specific preferences is the intention. You can pick up all types of cat beds, but by and large, they fall under a few categories: heated, flat, and covered. Each will help your cat’s comfort level in different ways.
Do cats need a cat bed?
Not strictly speaking, no. But you may need your cat to have a bed. And if you think you’re fine with her sleeping in your bed (and on your head, as so many cats tend to), then you’ll want to consider one simple fact: Your cat doesn’t wipe her tushy after she uses her litter box. She wipes that on your bed. Even if she doesn’t always spend the night in her own bed, anything that allows for a little less fecal content in your bed is always welcome in our book.
Also, you’ll want to keep in mind that cats are incredibly territorial and having a place that is hers and only hers may make her an overall more pleasant cat to have in your home. She will enjoy the independence and the privacy and the time away from you may make her appreciate the pets and snuggles all the more.
How do I get my cat to use her cat bed?
Well, the first tip we can give for convincing your cat to sleep in her own bed is to make it an appealing bed. A self-warming bed or a bed that offers her cover may appeal to her. If you intend to use it for when she’s confined to a space, you may just be able to close a door to ensure its use. If your cat has free reign and you still want her to use the bed, you should chose a location that will best suit her. Since all cats are different, that may be up high or under a table; in a secluded room or one near where you sleep.
If you’ve tried all of those methods (or can’t try them for one reason or another) you can also lure your cat to it by placing one of your worn t-shirts into the bed. Taking it directly off your body and placing it in will have the most effect because then it will not only smell like you, it will still have your body heat to cuddle into, as well.
Are heated cat beds safe?
Generally, heated cat beds are safe for use. However, if you find one that will turn on and stay on, you’ll want to make sure you’re keeping an eye on it and never leaving your cat unattended with it. The most common electrically heated beds are those that will keep the cat bed 10-15 degrees warmer than room temperature, making it just enough for some added comfort but not jacking up your electric bill.
Because traditionally-heated beds are a drain on electric and are a bit more of a hassle, cat beds have started using the heat-reflecting technology in the Mylar “space-blankets” which allows the cat’s body heat to reflect and generate a very toasty warm bed.
Other Cat Beds We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other beds for cats. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best beds for cats list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your cat. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing. For your convenience, we broke them into the following categories:
Covered Cat Beds
Cat Caves are the latest craze in cat beds. A comfortable, warm, felted-wool “Cave” pet bed for cats to play, hide or take a snooze in all day long.
- 100% eco-friendly, Cat Caves are made from all-natural merino wool with a natural lanolin smell that attracts cats.
- Unique cave shape that cats go bananas over allowing them to hide and play in all day (much more stylish than any cardboard box).
- Many designs to choose from. Choose from a wide range of personality-full designs featuring many patterns and colors to match your home.
Aeromark International Armarkat Cave Cat Beds
This cat cave is perfect for giving your cat a little privacy.
- 10 different style and color choices; 7 size options
- Removable Pillow pad of polyfoam
- Made with velvet; entirely machine washable
Armarkat Cat Bed – Laurel Green & Beige
This extra plush cave is an incredibly comfy getaway for your kitty.
- Soft Velvet and non-skid base
- Polyfoam and entirely machine washable
- 20″L x 20″W x 14″H
Favorite Soft Portable Opening Cat Play Cube Bed
This cat bed will double as an ottoman or foot stool for you and give your cat a way to hide in plain sight.
- Foldable for storage and portability
- 14″ L X 14″ W X 15″ H
- Tweed exterior and plush faux fur bed
Frankshine Pet Bed for Cats or Small Dogs Multifunction Cat Bed
This cat bed can be covered or not depending on how you chose to set it up.
- Waterproof skid-free base
- Reversible and removable pillow
- Soft ball hanging from side/top
Meowfia Premium Wool Bed Cat Cave
This felt cave has a knit wool entrance to make the bed particularly comfortable for your cat.
- 100% Merina wool
- 3 color choices
- Fits cats 12 lbs and under
Milliard Premium Comfort Plush Cat Cave and Pet Bed
This cat cave is a bed that will give your cat seclusion and a space all of her own.
- Reversible and removable cat bed within cave
- 14″L x 14″W x 14″H
- Machine washable
PET GROW Cute Banana Cat Bed House
Your cat can find herself tucked in for the night by pulling this banana’s peel back up.
- 3 size choices
- For cats 10 lbs or less
- Satisfaction guaranteed
Smiling Paws Pets Unique 2-in-1 Cat Bed
This bed can be a cube or easily collapse flat for an extra thick padded bed for your cat.
- 13″ x 13″ x 13″
- Side pocket for cat’s accessories
- Made with thick organic cotton and plush sherpa
Spring fever Rabbit Dog Cat Pet Bed
This covered cat bed comes in 5 fun designs to choose from and 5 sizes so you can fit your cat and your decor perfectly.
- Removable bed
- 5 size choices, 5 color options
- Entirely machine washable
TRIXIE Pet Products Miguel Fold and Store Cat Tower
This cat bed can accommodate 2 cats sleeping in two separate places with its “indoor” and “outdoor” beds.
- 4 size options
- 2 hanging toy balls
- Cave and hammock beds
Flat Cat Beds
BobbyPet Cat Scratcher Lounge Bed – Collapsible Round Shape for Big cat
This bed is perfect for the cat who will sleep anywhere and just needs a bed to scratch on without any complaints.
- Folds flat; holds up to 25 lbs
- 100% high density honeycomb paper
- Made from recyclable cardboard
You can mount this cat bed up on the wall for any cat who likes to rule from on high (literally).
- 2 style choices
- 14″W x 24″L
- 1-year warranty
Kitty City Steel Claw Sleeper Cat Bed Furniture
This little bed sleeper is perfect for one or more cats and can be added to at a later date.
- Some assembly required
- 17.5″ x 17.5″ x 17.5″
- Includes bed, piping frame and hanging ball toy
L.S 2018 Cat Window Perch Hammock Cat Bed
This cat perch is perfect for the kitty who likes to watch what’s going on outside.
- 2 color choices
- 14″W x 23″L
- Nut suction mounts can hold up to 60lbs
This basic flat cat bed will fulfill your cat’s needs and works great for a wide range of scenarios.
- Reversible; flannel or fleece
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- 4 size choices and 4 color options
Precision Pet Shearling Round Bed
This cozy bed is perfect for adding an additional pad or blanket or just allowing your kitty to snuggle in as it is.
- 2 color choices
- Machine washable
- Nonskid bottom
Heated Cat Beds
This cat bed will allow your cat’s body heat to warm him all through the night.
- 6 sizes to choose from
- 2 color choices, 3 shape options
- Made with Mylar, faux lambs wool and corduroy
Best Friends by Sheri Luxury Shag Faux Fur Donut Cuddler
The padding on this cat bed is extra plush so that your kitty will stay warm and cozy.
- Machine washable
- Water resistant bottom
- 2 color choices, 3 size options
PAWZ Road Cat Sleeping Bag Self-Warming Kitty Sack
This is essentially a sleeping bag for your cat that comes in fun shapes and keeps her warm.
- 4 style choices
- 19.68″L x 22.8″W
- Crinkle paper inside
Pet Magasin Self Warming Cat Thermal Bed
This plush and form-holding bed is a sturdy type of sleeping bag that will provide your cat a cozy nap.
- 4 configurations: cup, cave, pod, or flat
- Made with fleece, foam, and microfiber
- 17″W x 12″H x 22″D